Thursday, January 8, 2015

#5 self portrait

For my self portrait, I felt like doing something more abstract. People are so self conscious now a days that I feel like not many people are confident enough with themselves or their artistic abilities  to do a detailed self portrait. I chose to do more of a pop theme with blocks of color rather than lines with the water color. I did this to represent how the little things don't matter as much as the whole piece. I chose this photo of myself to do because In it I was fixing my hair and stressing out over something small which is how most of my life goes so I figured it would be good for a self portrait. To get all aspects of myself portrayed as possible. 

The wood was my favorite part to do on this project because of how it pops out (like Pop art kind of) and it was fun to do. I chose water color for this project because I didn't want it to look really like me even though it's a self portrait or anything to look realistic. I used pen a little bit on my dress to make it stand out more from the other Brown and neutral colors. I did all brown, black, and mustard colors for my "inner" self portrait. I'm a laid back person generally and I enjoy everything to blend in and stay calm. 


I really liked how the pen turned out on my dress because the dress in the first place was stripped but I didn't want it to be exact so I did a gray wash and then added value with the pen in lines on the edges and where the darkest areas were. I also put pen in the hair as well to create a textured effect so it didn't look flat. The water color couldn't generate the same look as the pen unless I used straight black paint and even then the lines weren't as prominent. 

The hand in my hair was a pain to paint because my fingers were in my hair and made them look like little stubs which was very irritating. So that's my least favorite part and something I probably need to work on. 

I did like how this project turned out but if I have more time in the future or came back to it I would add more to the background maybe and try and fix my hand. But that will take lots of practice. All in all, I think I portrayed my physical appearance as I wanted as well as my emotional and interior self though the colors I chose and expression on my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment