Monday, January 12, 2015

# 6 mechanical

When we got told we were doing a mechanical project I couldn't be more nervous. I had never done or even thought of doing anything steampunk-like. The topic was making something organic into mechanical. So I came up with the idea to change an animal to something mechanical or man made that barely resembles the original animal. I went through tons of ideas of animals including birds, butterflies, deer and others. I ended up going with an elephant because of the space in its ears I could use for whatever I wanted and it resembled a gas mask from previous wars pretty well and I really liked the idea. 


I started by doing the "body" so everything except the ears. Doing the trunk was one of my favorite parts of this project because of the way it ended up. I added bullets to the face to act as tusks. 


I began by buy putting gears from the inside of a clock or something like that into the ears to fill the space. I tried to vary size and color as much as I could so it wouldn't look too repetitive. I chose charcoal for this project because I had never used it before and wanted to give it a shot. I also decided to try sketching new because I was creating something that I never had done before either. I'm glad I did because it's one of my favorite mediums now. 



I decided to crop the picture where the elephant head wasn't in the middle of the paper. 


I was done with the elephant and it was cropped but it didn't look close to done. I liked the value you could see in all of the white places and im really happy with the color of paper I chose. 


Since it needed more, I just decided to add more elephants and nothing new. I added three at the bottom scattered around. I really was happy with the final for so many reasons including the fact I did four objects (not an odd number) and it still turned out really cool. This is my favorite project I've ever done and I really hope to continue using the mechanical theme. 








No comments:

Post a Comment