Friday, January 16, 2015

Concentration #2

This is the second choice project I did and it is part of my concentration. The world problems that are being portrayed in this piece is pollution, captivity, and the idea of too much "city". How I tried to portray pollution is I made everything man made black or gray to stand for being gross or toxic. Then I showed captivity as the dolphin being surrounded by buildings which are slowly taking over whatever small, beautiful life style the animal had previous to our invasion. The idea of too much "city" is obviously shown by buildings pressed against eachother in a small area, packed tightly. 


First, I started with just the dolphin since it was going to be one of the focal points. I did this whole project in charcoal to get more of a grimy effect for the buildings and dolphin being held in "captivity". I then chose to do water color for the water the dolphin was in and the water the buildings were pushing up when they arose from the water to show how no matter how bad things get, beautiful things always preserver. 



I added value to give it a realistic effect to the buildings but that took forever to get it even on both sides and go around all the windows and doors. I liked it at this point but new none of the values were dark enough. 
Here I added more value and started putting in the water color. My idea was to have water dripping off the top and some collected in a small pool at the top for the buildings to look like they grew straight up out of the dolphins home. 
Here is the finished piece. I added pen to the corners of the buildings and below the dolphin to give it all a richer feel. I also added it to the buildings that were under water to make them a lot darker than the rest but not as dark as the sky. I colored the sky completely black for a good contrast and it also gave the idea of a mucky sky along with the whole pollution topic. I really enjoyed doing this project and I like the way it turned out and what it stands for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment