Monday, January 12, 2015

#7 Landscape

For my landscape I went back and forth between countless pictures trying to figure out something I could do that meant something to me and wouldn't be boring. I wanted to try and do water since I never have with oils but I didn't want it to be a typical ocean beach picture. I chose to do a picture from Russia that my friend took when he was traveling. It was out of a train going through the heart of Russia on his trip last summer. I knew it would be difficult because every thing up close was so blurry because the train was moving so I had to improvise a bit with the grass and road. 
First I just sketched out where everything would go and did a wash on the road and started the water. I didn't want to do a wash where the water went because some areas were so light which I regretted afterwards but whatever. Now I  know I should always add one. 

Next I finished the water and added a highlight on the center-left area as that is where the sun was hitting in the picture. I put some colors down on the mountains to start. It was hard because in the picture the sun was coming from behind so the mountains got darker as you came closer. I did it on a sketch and it looked totally wrong so I just did the mountains darker as they went back and ignored the picture. 


My least favorite thing about this project was definitely the green grass. It was so blurry because the train moving. I didn't really know how to tackle it. I tried to add as much value in the green grass as I could but didn't really know where to start or how to make it look real because the picture was so blurry. I liked this project okay over all but the only thing I was really happy with was the water. 






No comments:

Post a Comment