Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Object

For my object project I chose a butterfly landed on a showel in the middle of grass with some pink flowers scattered. I thought the whole compostion was fabulous and I wanted to reinvent it with the palette knife. I had practiced with the palette knife previusly with the apples that I did. with this, I wanted to add more depth though so I knew I had to vary my colors and really work with it.



This progress picture shows the texture i got in the grass from using the palette knife. That is why I used it for the whole piece, I loved the way it looks when it really is 3D.

I loved working on the shovel because of the values I got to create and the way it slowly started to look real. I really enjoyed working with the paint with the palette knife finding out how to mix colors directly on the canvas. I was really worried about starting the butterfly because I liked it all so much before I put it on there. This entire project was really outside of my comfort zone because I had never used oils except on my apple project and the palette knife was brand new news too. I feel like i learned a lot from this project, I learned how to push the lights and darkies with oils and i figured out how to blend all the colors better. Using the palette knife helped me get the texture I waned and I really liked the strokes that it made. It made my project more abstract and interesting I think. I also liked how much paint i got to use on it and the way you can create detail with such a big utensil.  I enjoyed doing it but I do not think I will do another butterfly. Ever.

 
This is the final project of my shovel. I wasn't very impressed with the butterfly and i feel like I could have accomplished a lot more with i just don't know what I could do. I really loved the values i created on the shovel. Pushing the lights so much was out of my comfort zone and i don't normally push them to almost straight white but I'm glad i did and i think this project turned out very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment