Monday, January 12, 2015

#9 Animal

 When we got told we had to do an animal project I new immediately what I wanted to do. I have a deer mounted in my living room and I've been wanting to do a project with it. I didn't really know what medium to do because of the fur being so short but I wanted it to be different than most animal portraits so I was thinking water color. I sketched it out in pencil first but I didn't take a picture of that. After it was sketched I added light colors where the darkest spots had to go so I would know where to add the most color or shading at the end. 

So this picture is when I finished the water color part of it. The antlers were difficult to do because of all the shading and different colors in such a small area with water color. I liked the way the whole piece itself looked though. For the background I just did a green wash type of pattern to stand for grass or a field or wherever a deer might be naturally, not on my wall. The picture below is the project done once I added prisma pencils to add texture to the fur in the thicker places and then details to the face and antlers. I really enjoyed doing this project but I do wish I could be better at prisma pencils because I don't really like where I used them for the fur. Overall, I like the way it turned out. My favorite part is the bottom right where the dark fur is but I did most of the fur strokes with a paint brush there so I think that could be why I like the way they look better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment